259 - Powermatic PM2244 Mini Review








pm2244Powermatic lately launched their new drum sander, the PM2244, and I’ve been getting plenty of questions on it. A drum sander is a large funding so it pays to do your analysis and be sure to get the correct unit on your store.






Alan Parham wrote in lately asking the next query:


I feel you latterly acquired the brand new Powermatic 2244 Drum Sander. My actual long run objective is to construct guitars and I just like the precision (digital) the PM2244 appears to supply together with an honest worth in comparison with different giant drum sanders like Woodmaster. My preliminary concern with the PM2244 is what I"ll name its “one arm” design. I can’t assist however assume that over time some “play” (unevenness) might develop because the drum just isn"t supported on each ends particularly in relation to one thing as skinny/exact as a guitar again or sound board. Any ideas? Is my concern unfounded?


Within the video, I tackle Alan’s query whereas giving a mini-evaluate of the PM2244. I"ve solely used it on one undertaking to date however I may give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. Under is my direct e-mail response to Alan in case you’re :


You’re proper to be involved concerning the cantilevered arm design. By its very nature, you’d should think about the drum will exit of alignment sooner or later or one other. Thankfully, the higher sanders are REALLY good about holding their settings for a very long time. That stated, a day will come when you must make a slight adjustment. And what units one sander aside from the remaining is how straightforward it"s to regulate. Certainly, the PM2244 has the only adjustment mechanism I"ve ever encountered: a easy dial underneath the desk. That one function alone is a recreation-changer! Doing a panel wider than the drum? Give it a slight flip to open the outboard aspect a bit and run the piece by means of twice. Whenever you’re completed, flip the dial again to the earlier setting for an ideal parallel run. And if the drum ever does exit of calibration, it wouldn’t take very lengthy to calibrate with some check items and also you’re again in enterprise.
Now the digital show is good however I’m not likely within the behavior of utilizing it typically. The best way drum sanders work, you"ll be able to ship a bit in a number of occasions on the similar setting and every time you’ll take away wood. So it may be very tough to know what that quantity truly represents. So what I like concerning the digital show on this unit is it’s merely a relative quantity. Need to transfer the drum down precisely 1/sixty four″? Zero it out after your final cross after which transfer the drum to that decimal equal. In fact what occurs to the workpiece in actuality is rather less predictable due to what I discussed above.








Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Make a riving brake for better leverage when splitting lumber

Welsh Stick Chair Shoot: A Diffferent Video Approach

Tongue and Groove Joinery - Popular Woodworking Magazine