Sophisticated. The tripod riving brake shown here is the sophisticated version of a contraption to help hold logs and billets as they’re split with a froe. Get some splitting leverage with this simple contraption. by Peter Follansbee R each for a froe, and you should immediately think, “Give me a brake.” The brake can be a constructed workholding device, or just a couple of logs. Its function is to trap your workpiece in such a way that you can exert leverage on a section of a log as it’s splitting. The froe – used to split a piece when it’s in a brake – is a tool that requires some nuance to really get the most from it; the brake helps make that happen. There are many kinds and configurations of brakes. The first one I learned is just a forked section of a tree, propped up with crossed timbers underneath. Forked. Here, a student is using a forked-tree brake as he rives oak with a froe. Jam your billet into the fork with its other e...
Editor’s note: I am resurfacing this article from American Woodworker because I am in the process of turning new handles for my Lie-Nielson and Stanley Sweetheart chisels. Tim Heil presents an interesting take on obtaining the taper for the socket with a folded piece of paper. I’ll share my version on YouTube later this week. – David Lyell Turning Wood: Socket Chisel Handles Here’s a 1-2-3 system for getting a perfect fit. By Tim Heil High-quality socket chisels—such as the Stanley Sweathearts and Lie- Nielsens—are making a big comeback. Why would these companies choose the socket style? Well, it’s all about you, the user. If you’re not satisfied with a handle’s shape, you can change it. If you want a different wood—no problem. The handle of a socket chisel isn’t glued or fastened to the tool, so you just remove it and make your own. Truth is, woodworkers have been doing this for years. In the age ...
I’ve been running for a few years now and this year my goal is to complete seven, half-marathon races. Every time you finish a race they give you an award medal. They are all unique and a fun way to remember all the races. I’ve been needing a way to display them., so I designed this rack. It was pretty easy to make and will hold a lot of medals! I began with the two sides, which are the most complicated. I cut a series of notches using a stack of dado blades on my table saw. On my router, I cut out a short rabbet for the inspirational message sign to drop into. Then I cut the decorative angled ends on my bandsaw. The top cross piece has a notch on each end to create a lap joint with the sides. And beveled decorative ends. I like using lap joints because they look nice and are self squaring, making glue-ups easy. The slats just drop in place. No need for notches on them. I cut out the letters using my scroll saw and bandsaw. After painting them silver I glued them to th...
Komentar
Posting Komentar